JSH Reporter Summer 2016 - Page 19

Downtown Phoenix In 1870, the whole town of Phoenix encompassed what would presently be the Downtown Core, border by Van Buren Street south to Jackson Street, and Seventh Street to Seventh Avenue. Streets were laid out in a grid, with Washington Street as the main east-west road. The north-south streets originally bore Native American tribal names, but were changed to more easily remember numbers, with everything east of Center Street (later known as Central Avenue) names as streets and everything west as avenues. As the town continued to grow it was eventually incorporated as a city on February 28, 1881.